1. Newly cleaned sparkly jewelry. I don’t know when during a
normal day I dip my entire hand into paint and cottage cheese, but it
seems to happen with some frequency.
2. New words from a toddler: “flower,” “no kicking,” “deer.”
3. Radishes the size of my fist at the local grocer. I’m not sure I’d eat ‘em (that’s a lot of radish) but they’re gorgeous.
4. Ruby watched “The Little Mermaid: Ariel’s Beginning” the
other day. I was in the same vicinity, doing dishes, folding laundry,
etc., but I wasn’t watching enough to catch the nuances of the story. I
stopped every 10-15 minutes and asked for an update…”what’s happening
now,” “why is so-and-so doing that,” “what do you think will happen
next?” At the very beginning, the queen had been killed by a pirate
ship and the king had banished music in the kingdom as that had been one
of his queen’s favorite things. Seafolk then had to sneak music. When
I asked why she thought the king would do that, Ruby looked at me as if
to say “DUH, Mom,” and shrugged her shoulders. With a weary shake of
her head she sighed, “He’s devastated.”
5. Peter Bjorn and John, Young Folks
Battle against embitterment and take part in 365 days of Grace in Small Things.